After a tough front nine Andrew Reid got hot when it mattered most and birdied the last four holes to win The Cooke Insurance PEI Amateur Championship at Green Gables Golf Club. The Cole Harbour Nova Scotia resident posted rounds of 71 – 76 to beat 2nd place finisher John Walsh by four shots. The event was changed to 36 holes (for all male competitors) after a rain storm mixed with lightning forced the organizers to cancel the 1st round.
Mid Amateur Division
John Anthony Langdale won the Mid Amateur Division (40 to 55 years of age) with consecutive rounds of 77.
Sherry White (above) won the Women’s Division going wire to wire after her opening round of 75. The Women’s division was contested over 54 holes since they completed the first round before the poor weather started.
Top scores are below:
Steve Ball (above) won a playoff on the second hole of sudden death over Mel Bernard for both the Senior and Super Senior titles.
Top score are below:
|Steve Ball New London, PE||77||80||157|
|Mel Bernard Summerside, PE||79||78||157|
|Ron Garrett Montague, PE||80||79||159|
|Ernest Corrigan Charlottetown, PE||81||78||159|
|Malcolm Reid Charlottetown, PE||78||81||159|
|Randy Bernard O’leary, PE||78||81||159|
|Kenny Fraser Alberton, PE||82||79||161|
More pictures can be found on our Facebook Page
Special events like this one are the result of community support. The PEI Golf Association would like to thank the following for their help:
- Cooke Insurance for sponsoring the event
- All the volunteers who helped out over the weekend
- Green Gables Golf Club for their excellent (and challenging) golf course
- Special thanks to the turf team for getting the course back in shape after all the rain on Friday
- TaylorMade for their generous support
- Kays Wholesale for assisting with the water for the competitors
- Our friends at Golf Canada who helped setup the live scoring
We’re already looking forward to next years event!
The PEI Golf Association